1. Roasted Urad dal – For almost all thogaiyal you need to roast urad dal and red chilli and wait for it to cool down a bit before grinding. Few grains directly reach their destination instead of going through the vigorous process called grinding .
2. Vadaam maavu – in 3 states , 1. dough or the mixture directly from stove 2. vadaam dried in sun for half a day where only the outer layer is semi dried and inner layer is still wet , 3. Vadaam sun dried for a day when dry and wet portion are in balance . I am sure almost everyone would have tasted and loved this. So what if I get diarhoea the next day ! Enjoy the present !
3. Jeera, saunf, elaichi , cloves, Ajwain – straight from Anjarai petti* to my stomach.
4. Arisi Appalam (Rice papad) – raw 🙂
5. Paneer – before it goes into any dish
6. Aval/Poha – plain or may be with little sugar
7. World famous chapathi dough
8. Another world famous item – maltova/boost/complan/milk powder
9. pottu kadalai – Roasted gram
10. Soaked idli or any rice 😀
I am sure there are more items but unable to recall now. Many people like grated coconut, my cousins steal it from the kitchen before they are made into chutney. I don’t like coconut that much, so I stay away. What do you like?
Anjarai petti – described well here